the knitting ref

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Happy [Early] Thanksgiving

Hope I didn't freak anyone out. But, since the Hubster and I won't be in country on the "official" Thanksgiving day, we gathered family and friends and had our Thanksgiving today. Before I go too far, I'll explain the picture. Mama somehow came into possession of this funky turkey. You can "choke" the neck, squeeze a wing or tweak the beak and it plays a corny song. Very strange, but the only Thanksgiving decorating that got done around here. Anyway. It was a fabulous day. Lots of talking and laughing with people I love and like a whole lot. As we had 13 people present for the festivities, we went casual with a serve-yourself buffet and t.v. trays all around the living room. Thanksgiving is when the Hubster takes over the kitchen and cooks. Which is a really good thing. As usual, there was too much food. It's a good thing the kids will be home while we're gone to finish up the leftovers.

One of our friends is an elderly gentleman who made his living as a photographer. After we ate, he graced us with a slide show of his experiences in New Zealand. And Lincoln has quite a way of turning a phrase that made it very enjoyable. I was ready to leave for NZ the minute the travelogue finished. He gave us some great tips, especially about the South Island which is making us more excited than ever. (Not that I needed anything else to get me excited.)

We ate early (12:30) so that the Girl Child could be with us before heading out to work, so everyone had cleared out a little after 3:00. The rest of the afternoon was spent watching the second half of the Broncos game. They won, but I tell you, it's not easy being a Broncos fan. They are on quite a winning season, but it seems like you're never sure until the very last minute that they're gonna make it. All's well that ends well, I guess.

Between the Boy Child's soccer game yesterday and all the visiting today, I got quite a bit done on my latest mindless project--another plain stockinette stitch sock.When I visited the newest (and closest) LYS, I grabbed this yarn without paying too much attention to the label. I just liked the colors (and still do). But when I got home and started working with it, I realized that this yarn is "mit Aloe Vera und Jojoba Ol." You can probably figure out that that means "with Aloe Vera and Jojoba Oil. I really like it. The addition is very subtle but noticeable after working with it for a while. I'm figuring I'll finish 1 sock before Thursday's liftoff, at which point I'll pack it and the remaining yarn for working on in NZ.

And bless my favorite LYS owner's little heart, when I whined to her that I was going to be grossly short of yarn on my Two Piece Sweater, she bustled around and scrounged up 3 more skeins. So while I won't have the sweater finished to take along, it now will be packed for the trip.

Add the necessities for the Storyteller Socks (see previous post), and that's all the knitting supplies I'm taking. No doubt I'll come back with much more yarn than I'm leaving with. (Gotta save room in the suitcase for that, right?)

It's doubtful that I'll be able to post again before we leave--although stranger things have been known to happen. I have promised Mama semi-frequent posts so she'll sort-of be in touch with our daily adventures. Tomorrow is the computer lesson for Mama. She will be the first to tell you she's completely computer illerate and likes it that way. But she's willing, provided I give her step-by-step instructions, to learn a little bit so she can check in on us periodically. Fingers crossed, we'll be able to figure out the intricacies of working online in a foreign country, although a number of the B&B's we're staying at supposedly have computer access. In the past I've purposely stayed away from being that "wired" while we're on vacation, so I've never done this before. Wish me luck.

Here's hoping my next contact with you will more be from the wonderland that is New Zealand. 3 days and counting!

3 Comments:

At 3:46 AM, Anonymous Kelly said...

Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving! Have a great time in New Zealand can't wait to hear all about it!

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Debstmomy said...

Yeah you made it to the Yarn Deli!! Don't ya love it! I can only imagine it getting better & better!!!

 
At 11:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,nice blog!!! I found a place where you can make an extra $800 or more a month. I do it part time and make a lot more than that. It is definitely worth a visit! You can do it in your spare time and make good cash. Make Extra Cash

 

Post a Comment

<< Home