the knitting ref

Friday, October 13, 2006

I'm So Annoyed

Actually, I'm much more than annoyed--at myself. Let's see why. I've been really anxious to finish this sweater. I thought I was going to finish this last night and be able to wear it to work. I was sooooo close. Until I found this:
Do you see it, huh? Do ya? Well, if you can't see it here, let me give you a close-up:
I am soooo mad. I put the lower right-side panel on backwards.

No big deal, right? Only problem is the way this sweater is constructed means I attached the lower panel to the upper panel and then knit the center edge (which goes over to the center back). To compound the problem, I didn't realize the error until after I had sewn up the center back seam and attached the lower back panel. Head slap! (Several times.)

So, the way I look at it, I have 2 options. Option 1) Un-sew the lower back panel, un-sew the center back seam, frog the center edging and then fix my error and re-do it all again. Option 2) Carefully clip the knitting on the center edge (hopefully) and tink or frog the knitting back (hopefully) to where the lower panel joins the upper, fix my boo-boo and (hopefully) re-attach the center edge to the rest of the sweater so it's not obvious.

As Option 1 will take several hours (days?) to accomplish, I am going to attempt option 2. I'm hoping it works. I have loved this sweater from the first moment I saw it in the pattern book (actually on the cover), and it is not disappointing. (My sewing skills, on the other hand, well . . .) This is going to get worn a lot. If I can ever finish it.
To finish off, I'll give you a peek at the back. (And maybe give you a better idea why I don't want to go through option 1.)

The post was going to end here, but I had to share. As if my day hasn't been sterling enough, just as I was finishing this, the Boy Child (remember he's 19; maybe I'd better find another name for him) walked in and he's pierced his lip! This is the child who, when he was small, had a health issue that required having blood drawn on a fairly regular basis for 2 years. Since then, he has been terrified of needles. He broke his thumb a couple years ago and when we took him and when we took him in to have it examined, he almost passed out. I truly never through he would attempt to be pierced or tattooed. And it's his lip. Sigh.

5 Comments:

At 6:07 AM, Anonymous Kelly said...

I think your right option 2 does sound like the better choice. It is a beautiful sweater hope it all works out ok.

It's amazing the things teenagers will do. Hopefully he'll get sick of it and take it out!

 
At 5:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Debstmomy said...

Oh my goodness, I would be annoyed too! Could you leave it & call it organic???? LOL! I have to say, it is beautiful, either way.
I hope my kids to not pierce things, but I have a feeling, I will be writing that post my self in 7-10 years!!!

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Siercia said...

Piercings are better than tattoos, at least. He takes out the jewelry, and the only mark left is a tiny dot.

That is a neat sweater. Good luck fixing it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home