the knitting ref

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Back Among the Living

Literally.

When I say last week kicked my butt, it kicked my butt unlike just about any other time in my treatment. The chemo itself wasn't so bad, but when you combine it with not having eaten a real meal in over a week, a bloated belly, and anesthesia for the new port-o-cath, and it was all just too much.

The first paracentisis removed almost 5 liters of fluid from my abdomen. Monday morning I had another that removed another 3 liters. I've lost a total of 13 pounds (not a weight-loss method I'd recommend) since the 24th of July.

But, the fluid removal made room for food, and as I'm able to eat decent food, I'm slowly on the road to recovery. And the fluid isn't coming back as quickly as before which is a hopeful sign that this chemo is working.

Enough of the ugly stuff. I'm so far behind it isn't even funny. The house is beyond a disaster, but I take it as a sign of good things that I'm starting to care.

I need to say right here a public THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to the Lincoln Knitter (whose card I of course can't find in the mess, so that's all the info you get for now) for the outstanding, fantastic, super deluxe knit sock kit swap. It came while I was feeling my most horrible, so I haven't even emailed her to let her know I received it. As I get to feeling more capable of actually operating a camera, there will be a blog post that is truly worthy of her creation. Lady, you nailed it! The colors are perfect and the bag is a work of art. I bow down to your superlative skills. I am truly grateful.

And because I already had this on the computer and managed to upload this with only 2 trys, a picture of me spinning at our campsite of Big Sur (more on that soon too).


Thanks to one and all for all the prayers and good thoughts. I'm feeling your positive energy, and I know that it's helping me get through the bad stuff.

5 Comments:

At 1:12 AM, Blogger JRS said...

Glad to hear that you're feeling better!
My mom was having the same problem with fluid in May. It finally cleared up, after having to have it tapped several times.
What a great setting for spinning!

 
At 4:26 AM, Anonymous Kelly said...

Beautiful wheel! Can't wait to see what you've spun up so far. I'm glad your starting to feel better.

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Yay! Good to hear from you again. Kicking that cruddy stuff the heck out the door. And I'm with jrs -- what a beautiful setting to spin. Such a lovely picture. Take care of yourself!

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger wendy said...

Wishing you good mojo

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Pat K said...

What an amazing place to spin! Or knit, or anything else for that matter. Now I'm wondering, did you attract any kind of a crowd? Glad to know that you are feeling better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home