the knitting ref

Friday, July 14, 2006

If I'm Dreaming Don't Wake Me Up

After a really really really long day at City of Hope Wednesday and arriving home in a truly foul mood, I discovered that my wheel had arrived.

Isn’t she purdy? (Pictured next to my car for proportion purposes.) Even with its diminuative size, I’m going to be able to sit on a regular chair to spin as the orifice and treadle are both at just the right height. I was slightly (o.k., a lot) torqued that the wheel arrived with no hooks on the flyer, but the seller was so apologetic I couldn’t stay mad for long. We were able to remedy that problem quickly. It also came with a really great book printed in Australia from the early ‘80’s that has tons and tons of really great information.

I lamented to the Hubster that it wasn’t fair that the wheel came 3 days before vacation and (half) jokingly said we should take it along. He says, “We could do that. It’s small enough, it’ll fit in the car.” So I will get to spend a portion of every day attempting to spin in some of the most gorgeous scenery God has ever made.

But that’s not all! Whilst doing my research regarding all things having to do with spinning, I came across Village Spinning & Weaving located in Solvang, Cali. It is a mere 190 (or 202 miles depending on which map search you use) from home. Literally on the way. I provided this information to the Hubster, and he says we should stop in!

The Hubster has been incredibly curious (in the most delightful way possible) about all things having to do with spinning—from how the wheel works to different kinds of roving, fleece and how it’s all prepared. As a wise man once told me, if you want to learn something well, teach it to someone else. I’m feeling rather proud of myself that I’ve been able to answer just about ever single one of his questions so far. And there have been a lot of questions.

I took my first spinning class on Tuesday, and it was rather frustrating at first. Suddenly, the light dawned, and I was getting the draft-pull-release-whatchacallit rhythm for a bit. It was still crappy yarn, but I was spinning! Hopefully the frustration factor won’t be too high since I’ll be combining both wheel adjustment and learning to spin.

But much more than the wheel is going with me on vacation. Obviously there will be roving, but also my Noro Silk Garden yarn and the Bettna pattern, together with Amelie and my Liberty/Dublin Bay socks. I mean, that’s not so much is it? A 6-7 car drive each way; 2 hour drive up to San Jose and back to pick up the in laws and return them to the airport at the end of the week, and lots of campfire knitting. Hope I don’t run short of projects. ;-)

So bright and (hopefully) early tomorrow morning we will be heading out to some lovely cool weather, gorgeous scenery, lots of time with my wonderful soulmate, and super-fibery pastimes. If I’m dreaming, don’t wake me up.
We are going to the hinterlands, so we’ll be completely (not even cell phone service up there) out of touch until next weekend.

Catch you on the other side!

5 Comments:

At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Kelly said...

Congrats on your new wheel it's beautiful. Have a wonderful vacation and happy spinning!

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Abigail 1870 pearl said...

Congrats on the new wheel. I can see sock yarn coming from it. Just think hand spun yarn and hand knit socks......

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Ann said...

Have a great time! Spin some for me!

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger BookishKnitster said...

Hurrah! congratulations. Are you going to go to the FiberFest in Santa Monica in August? It looks like a good time!

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Heatherly said...

how did traveling with the wheel go?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home