the knitting ref

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

World's Fastest Project

As I was kitchenering the toe of my second Spring Feet sock, I realized I had totally and completely screwed it up. Frogged it all the way back to the beginning of the decreases.

In an attempt to alleviate some of my angst, I decided I needed some quick gratification.

Being blinder than a bat, I have worn glasses since I was 8. I used to wear contacts, but with all the meds I take my eyes have dried up and I'm stuck with prescription glasses. I had transition lenses for a while and hated them. My last pair I got regular lenses, but the frames come with these handy dandy sunglasses that clip on the front with magnets. Love 'em! A hard case came with the glasses to hold the 2 pieces, but it's big. And since I'm wearing the glasses from the minute I open my eyes in the morning until I close them at night, I don't have much need for such a big case.
I was putting the sunglass portion in a pocket of my purse, but that was still causing some hard wear.

So, I knit up a case, muy pronto. I think it took a whole hour. The yarn is some wool worsted I had left over from my Heart scarf. I cast on 21 stitches on size 8 dpn's, and knit until it was 7 inches long. Bound off 11 stitches and then stockinette for 2 inches, followed by K2togs and SSK's on the edges of the knit rows until I had 4 stitches left, then BO those.

Hand felting followed, and voila! An FO. Well, almost. Once it's dry, I'll sew on a flower button I have, and I think that's all I'll need.

3 Comments:

At 2:38 AM, Anonymous Kelly said...

I love those instant gratification kink of projects. Cute case!

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger Pat K said...

Neat idea!

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger Abigail 1870 pearl said...

What a clever idea! I have loads of scrap yarn waiting for something good. Thanks for the pattern. Have a great weekend

 

Post a Comment

<< Home