the knitting ref

Monday, June 26, 2006

Organized Fidgeting



How much knitting can be done in 4 days--2 spent at the hospital and 2 melting in the heat at a tournament? On Amelie, from the neck up plus 21 cm's of the front. And about 10 cm's of ribbing through to what you see on the guy socks. Pretty good, eh?

Thursday, my dad had surgery on his nose. Instead of the outpatient procedure that was originally planned, the doctor decided to keep him through Saturday afternoon. My father is not what anyone would call a good patient. And he's absolutely the worst with my mother. So all of Thursday and a large part of Friday was spent with him. While he napped I knitted. When he wasn't napping, I attended to him.

Saturday, Mom had hospital/dad duty and the Hubster and I went to a celebration of life for a good friend, followed by a long drive to a tournament in Temecula where we have traditionally evaluated the referees. We always plan on it being hot, but there's some front going through that made it miserably humid too. Ick!

But I knit. In fact I did a bit of extreme knitting. At one point the wind kicked up so bad, I felt like I was in a hurricane. No pictures. The camera was in the car and I was out on the fields.

And as for the title. This tournament I was at was named for the gentlemen I told you about a few days ago who came up with red and yellow cards in soccer--Ken Aston. A true English gentleman in every sense of the word. One of the things I loved about him was the quirky turns of phrase he would come up with. And I was reminded this weekend that he called all of the needle arts "Organized Fidgeting." I don't know about you, but I think it's the perfect description of what I do. In fact, in the hospital waiting room there was a lady who just couldn't sit still. Every few minutes she was messing with something--her purse, her clothes, the chair, a book. Oi! It was getting on my nerves. I would like to say I was serenely sitting there with my knitting, except that I was having trouble with the gusset decreases on the socks at that point, but I was close.

So now I'm off to work where I'm staying in at lunch (too darn hot and humid) for some more organized fidgeting.

4 Comments:

At 9:13 AM, Blogger Pat K said...

"Organized Fidgeting". I'll have to remember that.

 
At 9:23 AM, Anonymous Kelly said...

That's part of the reason I took up knitting. I was always fidgeting and needed to do somthing with my hands. Looks like you got quite a bit of organized fidgeting done over the weekend!

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger trek said...

Thanks for coming by my blog!

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Crazy About Sox said...

Thanx for the comment I could't remember the name of that thing
(the leafy dragon). We saw so many new things, and some have really weird names...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home