the knitting ref

Sunday, June 18, 2006

I'm Melting!

**This isn't actually a long, boring text post. There is a cute cat picture at the end.**

I'm not really. It's pretty warm here, but since we've been working around the house all weekend, I'm tired of sweating!

Before I get to that, though, let me start with Friday night. To me, there's not much better in life than music. Unless it's live music. And there's not much better in life than live music. Unless it's live music in an intimate setting. And there's not much better in life than live music in an intimate setting out under the stars. Well, baby, we got the whole package. Big Bear Lake was having a jazz festival this weekend, and we got to go up and see Acoustic Alchemy. If you like guitar, this is a group you have to hear!

Acoustic Alchemy and I go way back. In the early '90's, I was a single parent, working full-time, and going to school. Study time was at a premium. Usually on my lunch hour, and then maybe 4 hours sometime during the weekend. In order to focus, I developed quite a CD collection of instrumental music. (Yes, children, this is what we had to do before iPod's and the like.) I'd pop in a CD and block out the rest of the world. Back then, they were of a genre called "New Age."

I got the opportunity to see them at a club back then, and then a number of times since. Things have changed a little over the years, and now they're called "Smooth Jazz" (but they're playing the same music--go figure).

My birthday present 4 years ago was to go see them. Instead, I was in the hospital facing cancer surgery, and too sick to care, frankly. The Hubster emailed them to say how bummed we were that we weren't going to be able to see them. About 2 weeks later, I was home recuperating when the mail came. Those sweet guys has sent me a handwritten note, and included autographed photos and their latest CD. Very sweet.

Anyway, we got to go up and listen to them on Friday, and it was a great show. The show was held outside at the Big Bear Discovery Center (A perfect use of tax dollars and public access, IMHO.) Nobody was more than about 150 feet from the stage. Almost 2 solid hours of music. Wunderbar!

Got a late start on working around the house the next morning; slowed down even more cause we HAD to watch the US Men's (and this time they were MEN) team play. And play they did. Too bad they had such a sucky ref.

Just so's you know--I've ref'ed for almost 30 years (besides coaching, playing, teaching, etc.) I generally don't rag on ref's I met Ken Aston, the gentleman who "invented" the red and yellow cards. He always said that cards were to be given out like money--before you gave one out, you had to be sure you were going to get something in return. This entire WC, the ref's have been tossing the cards out like candy. And not getting a damn thing in return, far as I an see. And 2 red cards against our boys. For NOTHING! I can hear Ken spinning in his grave in England from here.

Ah well, after the game, I got the Boy Child's blinds up with a little help from the Hubster. Rearranged the furniture to account for 2 new (to us) recliners. They are very comfy, and I think I really like the set-up. Course, it's greatly enhanced by the second ceiling fan the Hubster installed in our living room. 1 fan at one end of a long and narrow room just doesn't work. And of course, lots of general house cleaning.

So, of course, very little knitting got done. I'm knitting the Hubster socks (the Kroy yarn in Flax from the Sisterhood). Just plain guy socks--not worth a picture yet. I am trying a new technique and do them 2 at a time on circulars. Couldn't get them started on the circ's. So I started them one at a time on DPN's and then transferred them to the circ's. It's working out pretty well.

And, since every post deserves a picture, here's Mac. In the furniture-moving-around, the sofa cushions were all caddywampus, and Mac decided it made a nice house. She's busy making sure Inky doesn't get the same idea. (Excuse the dirty sofa cushions--10 years of kids does that. It's normally hidden by a slipcover.)


That's the weekend in a nutshell.

4 Comments:

At 8:56 PM, Blogger Pat K said...

Kroy socks in Flax? I bet that was the sock yarn I tossed in the box. Glad to know your hubby will get socks from them.

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger rho said...

We did the furniture rearranging too for 2 new chairs (huge enormous monstrous but oh so comfy recliners)this past week -- still getting used to a chair I can't touch the floor in when I sit in it (at 5'8" that doesn't happen often) BUT I can fold my legs up and knit away like there is no tomorrow.

loved your comment on the WC ref....

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Monique said...

I've been out of the blogging sphear a bit. I wanted to say THANK YOU so much for the book and needles! I loved the book and the needles were a huge suprise. By the time they got to me, they came off the paper clip, so they were a suprise as I was flipping through the book. And I finally cast on for a pair of sock on them today. When we get the camera software reinstalled onto the computer, I'll have to post some pictures.

 
At 4:23 AM, Anonymous Kelly said...

Love the cat picture!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home