the knitting ref

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

DyeO-Rama Update

As I told my swap pal, this swap was the toughest I've ever participated in. I was aboslutely, positively a WTF'er before this started, and I still am after. And while I'm not over the top over my offerings, I can live with them.

My pal likes purples and reds, so that's what I went with. On the left is "Flashback"; on the right is "Old Roses" Old Roses is very close (at least on my monitor) to true color. No matter what I did--indoor/outdoor/flash/no flash--I just couldn't get Flashback to photograph color true. In real life, Flashback is lots of shades of purples and turquoises/lt. blues. Flashback gets it's name from the tie-dyed shirt with those colors that I used to have when I was a kid.

Old Roses was immersion dyed on the stove using Kool-Aid Grape and Black Cherry flavors mixed. Flashback was handpainted and solar dyed using Paas Easter egg dye for the blues and Wilton cake dye in violet for the purples.



But this is the real charmer. This is what my swap pal, Jenna sent me. She named it "Earth Song" and the title is spot on. The colors are perfect. She took what little bit of information I gave her and ran with it. P.E.R.F.E.C.T. She also included a sling bag (what the yarn is laying on) for then the need to carry an extra project or 2 (or 6) is needed. Thank you Jenna!

3 Comments:

At 3:41 AM, Anonymous Kelly said...

You did a beautiful job dyeing those yarns. I especially like the rose color. The yarn your pal sent is really pretty too.

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Jenna said...

Diane, I'm so glad you like the yarn! And the stuff you dyed up looks so pretty, too, wow! I'm sure your pal will love them.

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Lucia said...

Jenna is so right! I love them indeed. What to knit, what to knit?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home