the knitting ref

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The Socks Have Left the Building

Finished, blocked and mailed the SockapalOOOza socks. Will post a picture, probably Wednesday. Cause, you know, I haven’t left Mo in enough suspense.

It was a lovely Mother’s Day. The kidalas brought me flowers and the obligatory goofy card. Very sweet. Then the Mama and I went to the L.A. County Arboretum. We were going to go to Descanso Gardens but traffic was so hideous, we decided to cut the trip short and stopped at the arboretum instead. And it turned out really great.

On the grounds is the Queen Anne Cottage that I bet many of you have seen before and don’t even realize it. Remember Fantasy Island? (Da plane! Da plane!) Well Tatu stood in the bell tower of the cottage for that shot.

Most days it’s closed and the best you can hope to do is press your lil’ face up to the windows and peek in. But twice a year they open it up and you can walk through it. It’s a tiny house, but it’s very, very cool to see how homes were built in the early 1880’s. You can read more about it here.

We didn’t take in all the grounds, but we saw plenty. Here's a tiny portion:



It was a warm, humid day, and we pooped out pretty quickly. After a restorative Starbuck's Blackberry Green Tea Frappaccino (you’ve GOT to try one), we headed home.

I only finished one of Mama’s socks, but she was very pleased that I was making her some socks. She was quite tickled that I only had one done. She’s anxiously awaiting the 2nd, so I guess I’d better get busy!

3 Comments:

At 2:22 AM, Anonymous Kelly said...

Beautiful pictures. It sounds like you had a great Mother's day and the Blackberry green tea frappaccino sounds very interesting.

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger BookishKnitster said...

Great pics! I had no idea that Fantasy Island was right here at the L.A. arboretum. Sounds like a great day with your family.

I'm with you on the blackberry green tea - excellent and strangely delicious.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Monique said...

I got them today (last night, but I was at work). I love them so much, thank you thank you thank you thank you!
I love the color and the pattern is perfect. I don't want to take them off, even though we've been getting 80 degree weather here in Seattle. And for you Califonians, 80 degrees is for us what 90-100 is for you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home