the knitting ref

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Darn Near Perfect

I woke up yesterday with a great feeling of anticipation. And the day was totally everything I had hoped for and more.


My friend Nancy is celebrating her 3rd anniversary as owner of Designer Hand Knits, and yesterday was her big sale/party. She asked me if I could come help her out. Like I needed to be asked to, as the Hubster put it, “Go play in the yarn.” Got there early, helped, along with several others, her set up, not only in the store, but out into the courtyard of the building that houses her store.
And then the people started coming. And coming. And coming. It was a very busy day, but it totally convinced me that in my next life I want to own a yarn store. Oh, and a spinning store. Definitely, a spinning store.

When I wasn’t helping with other’s knitting and the yarn shopping, I was drooling over this:

The lady with the apron is Patty, and she’s my new guru. I pestered her with a ton of questions about spinning. And she’s going to teach me how to spin! Yeah!!!!!!!

And I am inordinately proud of this:
My first, very crappily spun yarn. But that’s o.k. It’s a start, and I didn’t suck too badly. So I have a spindle and a little bit of roving, and I’m going to work on that, and Patty’s going to teach me how to work a spinning wheel. She only has 30 or so wheels.

The energy flagged about 3:00, so I headed home for a nap. But the day wasn’t over yet. Nosiree. We had tickets to a concert. And what a concert. Country music this time out. Josh Turner, who’s voice can melt butter. (The Hubster threatened to bring a drool cloth along.) His set was too short for my taste, but he’s only released 2 albums so I knew we weren’t going to hear a lot of him.

A short break, and then Sara Evans took the stage. Goodness, that lady has a set of pipes. My fav. female singer for years has been Martina McBride, but I’ve got to say that Sara now takes a close second.

Another short break, and then Brad Paisley. Now, I have to say that up till now I have not been overly enthused with by Mr. Paisley. I mean, he’s had some good songs but he’s never been on my must-see list. Well, y’all, he is now. What an entertainer! And can someone please tell me how I have been oblivious to the fact that the man can wail on a guitar?

Overall, a totally great combination. Total music time was well over 2 ½ hours. And we had great seatmates. Lots of fun all around. The only downside? And these are obviously paltry, I hesitate to mention them. We’ve been to so many concerts lately where flash photography isn’t allowed, I purposely left my camera at home. And second, it took us almost an hour to get out of the parking lot. If you’re in Southern California and want to go to a concert in Hyundai Pavillion at Glen Helen, be prepared to wait in the parking lot. The sound system, stage and seating make it a really great venue, it’s just that ingress and egress is only on 1 small road, so the cars really back up.

Other than that, a totally great day. And the greatness promises to continue through today. Mama is coming over after church, and we are headed to Descanso Gardens near where we will have a little one-on-one time with some fantastic flowers. And the SockapalOOOza socks will be finished by tonight. Provided they dry by morning (which is not really an issue, as warm as it is today), they will be outta’ here!

So I will just say a quick Happy Mothers Day to all the mothers out there, and I’ll see you later.

2 Comments:

At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Kelly said...

Sounds like a wonderful day to me. Great first spinning!

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Debstmomy said...

So bummed I missed Ya! I do love Nancy...she is just great. We will have to meet up there & knit together one of these days. Take Care & I hope you are feeling well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home