the knitting ref

Friday, May 26, 2006

Close But No Ceegar


In amongst other things last night, I tried my hand at dyeing my Dye-O-Rama pal's yarn. She specifically said she didn't want striping yarn, so I'm looking toward more of a Koigu/Socks that Rock kind of coloring.

I used Paas Easter egg dyes. The blue took wonderfully and I love that color. But, I had visions of a purple/blue mottled yarn. Unfortunately, the purple didn't seem to like the yarn so much and has a definite faded reddish/pink hue to it. Wierd.

Plan B is to go get some Wilton's cake dye in purples and work that into something hopefully useable.

No dyeing this weekend, however, because Boy Child has another tournament. This one's in San Diego, meaning an overnight stay in a hotel. I know for those uninitiated in sports parenting, that probably sounds o.k. But those in the know know that what it actually means is listening to uncorraled children (not our team's as they are now 17-19, and too cool to run amok through the hotel) running up and down hallways until all hours. Sigh.

Thanks to those who complemented the socks and blankie. In response to Ann's question, the stripe is a cinnamon-y brown. Love it! Also, if you haven't seen the Mason Dixon Knitting book, you have got to check it out. I won't buy a book unless it has at least 3 patterns that I know I'll do--even more if the book is a hardback. Well, there might be 3 patterns that I won't do out of this book.

I have other news, and I'm very, very jazzed about it. My friend Nancy at Designer Hand Knits (sorry, no website--I'm working on her on that) asked me to teach some classes for her this summer! Lace and socks (but not together). Yea, baby!

I have taught a lot of things over the years--flute; piano; tutored in reading, german and algebra; in soccer I've taught coaches, referees and players; and of course, as a stupervisor at work, I train the newbies. But I've never taught knitting on more than a one-on-one basis. Fortunately, Nancy limits the class size to 7, so that makes it easier. But still, I'm already going into hyper-drive and setting up lesson plans, planning on what examples I need to make up, and what other visual aids I'm going to need. Oh, did I ever tell you I'm a little obsessive/compulsive about stuff like this? Teaching, yes. Knitting, yes. Housework, uh, no.

Hope you all have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.

4 Comments:

At 12:36 PM, Blogger Debstmomy said...

I am glad your blue turned out. Mine turned to purple, and I have no idea why! Seems there should not be any red in blue. Hope you had an ok time in San Diego. & Yes, Nancy DHK needs a website! I know I will meet up with you there someday. Maybe I will take that dying class.

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Monique said...

I love the colors. I keep seeing everyone's dye-o-rama on their blogs, and I love it all. I am just not orginaized enough to want to deal with the mess it will leave behind.

Maybe you can overdie it a bit? I've seen some good results on the blogs with overdying. http://www.rose-kim.com/rose%2Dkimknits/

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger BookishKnitster said...

Beautiful!!!! Love the color!

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger JRS said...

First of all, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. My thoughts are with you. What a horrible shock to come home to an email like that.

I've been meaning to comment for a few days, since I saw that you are going to be teaching a sock class. That is great news, but I must say I am a little freaked out that my first pair of socks ever went to a sock teacher. Good luck with the teaching--I'd love to be able to take one of your classes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home