the knitting ref

Monday, May 29, 2006

Blindsided

I was all prepared to talk about what a great weekend we had. The Boy Child’s team played in San Diego this weekend--took 3rd place, and a generally good time was had by all. I knitted, I ate, I slept, and I came home not too exhausted.

After we got home and all settled in, I did what we all do. Popped on line to what had been happening in Blogland while I was incommunicado. But first, I checked my email. And found the message that totally turned my weekend upside down.

A friend was emailing to tell us that a mutual friend had died this morning. What? Not Cookie! The Hubster and I have known Dave and Cookie for close to a decade. They are some of our soccer buds. We lived more than 2 hours apart, so getting together didn’t happen often. Not at all since they moved up North. But, when we did get together it was old home week. We’d just pick up where we left off. You know, that kind of friends.

Cookie was an amazing lady. An incredible artist--it didn’t matter the medium. Whatever she did was beautiful. 4-5 years ago she decided to try hand painting silk scarves. And, like everything else, what she did was spectacular. I wish I could capture the true beauty of this scarf. I can’t.

When I was going through my first chemo hairlessness, Cookie sent me 4 of her scarves. I chose to wear wigs while I was at work, but the second I got home, off came the wig and on went one of the scarves. Such comfort.


She was smart, funny, sassy. While Dave is big and loud, Cookie would “gotcha” quietly and with great wit. Whatever she did, she did well. One of those people you'd like to hate because they had it so together, but just couldn't because they were so genuine. Even though it meant we didn’t get to see her and Dave as often, I’m glad they moved up North so she got a few years to to be with her family on a day-to-day basis. The world is a little “less” without her in it.

Do me a favor. When you’re finished playing around out there in Blogland, take a minute (or 2 or 10), and get in touch with your “Cookie”. You’ll be glad you did.

4 Comments:

At 10:44 PM, Blogger BookishKnitster said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss of your dear friend. My thoughts are with you. Thank you for sharing and celebrating her on your blog.

 
At 2:48 AM, Anonymous Kelly said...

She sounds like a wonderful person. I'm sorry for your loss. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

 
At 4:23 AM, Blogger Ann said...

My deepest sympathy to you and yours during this difficult time. Cookie sounds like one of a kind. I'm so sorry for your loss.

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Mia said...

Awww... sure wish I had a "cookie" in my life, even for a little while.

Great scarves.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home