the knitting ref

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Off Axis

{Sorry if this post has an inordinate number of spelling errors. The system I'm on is incredibly slow, while my fingers are not. But, I'm not complaining; I'm just thrilled to have this limited acess}

Just when you think things are going pretty well, life has a funny way of slapping you upside the head. This is coming to you from my hospital bed. Yes, hospital. I am currently being treated for a nasty blood infection. But let me start at the beginning.

Friday evening I had a low grade fever, and woke up Saturday morning not feeling 100%. But it was the Relay weekend, and so I soldiered on. I started feeling better, but stil wasn't all "there" through the weekend. I'll save the Relay recap for another post.

Monday morning was my onc. appointment, so I figured I'd talk to them about my concerns. And they jumped right on it. I was going to go into a big explanation, but long story short, the subcutaneous catheter that had been used for IV chemo was haboring a bug which got dislodged when the nurse went to draw a blood sample from it. It then became a blood infection and I was pretty sick.

Fortunatly, my docs immediately admitted me and started IV antibiotics. We're still waiting for the cultures to fully incubate to find out exactly which bug Im duelng with, but whatever they've got me on is doing a really good job thus far. Once we get the final results, I can go home with a nice bag of meds (pills, I hope).

All this has really thrown me off my game. Monday and Tuesday I was too sick to care, but today I'm really stressed because there is no way I'm going to finish my SockapalOOOza socks for a timely mailout. I haven't answered my Spring Feet questionaire, but will soon.

And, while I have some limited Internet access here in the room (which is actually pretty cool, all things considered. I'm typing this on a wireless keyboard and viewing it on the t.v. screen), I can't access my AOL email. So if anybody's emailed me and I haven't answered, give a couple days. I feel so cut off.

Well, that's about all for now. I think (no, I know) I'm ready for a nap.

4 Comments:

At 4:19 PM, Blogger Debstmomy said...

Oh I do hope you feel better soon. Get as much rest as you can. Your sockapooluza will be there for when you are well. Take Care.

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger Abigail 1870 pearl said...

Don't stress out. That will not help your body to heal. Our family will pray for you and your sockapalooza pal will understand. I know I would. If I can help in anyway let me know.

 
At 3:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you are feeling better soon! Don't panic about the socks. I am your sock pal, and I'm not quite finished either ;-). Hopefully you'll be home and well by the time your package from me arrives. Get that bug out of your portacath and get well soon!

 
At 2:52 AM, Anonymous Kelly said...

I hope you feel better soon! Get some rest. Hugs!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home