the knitting ref

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Minutiae

I finished this a few days ago, but only just now got around to posting the picture. The pattern is Heart by knitty.com, knit up on size 8US needles. The yarn is Nature Spun 100% wool yarn, Deep Sea colorway. The original pattern calls for chunky yarn, but since I wanted to have this for Relay for Life in mid-April, I went for a lighter weight yarn. Because of the smaller yarn I had to do twice as many pattern repeats. It’s a little longer than I planned (about 70”), but exactly the right width (4 ½”). This is the 10th project I’ve finished in 2006. Granted, none of them have been overly large, but I’d like to keep the pace going at 2 projects a month (or better) if I can.

Day before yesterday I alluded to some yarny goodness coming in the mail, and the subsequent casting on of a new project. 5 repeats later, and this is what I’ve got:

The Orso Wrap from the Noro Revisited book. The yarn is Silver Thaw by Noro, #5 colorway. Oooooohhhhhhh! It feels so good to be knitting this stuff. It’s not quite as wide as I’d like, but I only got 2 skeins of the yarn, and I’m afraid to play too fast and loose with the pattern. I really do like the traveling vine pattern. I’m already thinking up other projects that I can use it in.

I would have made this post yesterday, but the weather has been really crappy. It took out our phone service last night. Today, we have had this (along with lots of rain and wind):

No, the street and yard isn’t shiny, that’s hail. I’d say this is unusual weather, but April is not the most stable month for weather around here. Since this post is getting really long, I’ll save further comment on that in a few days on my wedding anniversary.

I finished 1 of mama’s socks, and cast on at lunch for the second. No SSS here, no way Jose.

Finally, I made a stop into my LYS. But I was a good girl. I really, really was. Despite some mega fiber temptation, I walked out with only a pattern book. Which one do you ask? Why it’s Not Just More Socks by Sandi Rosner. The way I figure it, as a member of SYAC, I need to be doing something with all that sock yarn in the next 90 days, not just avoid buying more. And the idea of knitting 40 pairs of socks just doesn’t do it for me, know what I mean? This book does have 3 sock patterns, all 3 of which I think I’ll wind up trying, but more importantly, there’s a really cute serpentine scarf and a couple different glove/mitten patterns worth trying.

Hi, ho, hi, ho, it’s off to knit I go!

1 Comments:

At 6:06 AM, Blogger Ann said...

I've been eyeing that book, especially the fingerless gloves pattern...let me know how you like it. And your Silver Thaw shawl is LOVELY. I loved knitting with that yarn, but it turns out I likely have a slight allergy to angora as it gave me a rash...I'm finishing the shrug a little at a time. Really nice work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home