the knitting ref

Sunday, April 09, 2006

The Lost Days

I went to bed Wednesday feeling just fine. When I got up on Thursday morning, it was a different story. I wasn’t feeling the best, but it wasn’t bad enough to keep me home. Or so I thought. I made it into work and proceeded to spend the next 30 minutes at my desk shuffling papers and trying very hard not to throw up.

I gave up, came back home, and took my temp. When you’re on chemo your immune system is takes a beating. Any sign of a temp over 100.5F and into urgent care you go. Still hoping to avoid that, I called into the triage nurse. Long story short, I wound up in urgent care on an IV being given lovely anti-nausea medications (much needed by this time), and was sent home with a diagnosis of a nasty stomach virus.

The next 3 days are something of a blur. One thing that is not a blur (at least not completely) is that my final package from SP7 arrived Friday. It wasn’t until today, though, that I’m finally able to truly appreciate it’s fabulousness. Talk about a grand finale!

I start with the book--Socks, Socks, Socks. I start with that because I was carrying it around in my hands the other day when I was at my LYS. Turns out it was the store copy and I’d have to wait for Nancy to get a new shipment in. Not any more. So many really great patterns. Where to start?


Second, she made sure to include treats for my 4-legged roommates. Let it be told all the treats have been taste tested by the appropriate parties and it’s paws up all around.

Third, the human treats. My rumbly tumbly is not quite ready to appreciate the Boston Baked Beans, chocolate rocks, dark chocolate bars and mints, but I will attest to the yumminess of the honey. (Which I managed to forget to get in the picture. Very cute bear dispenser.)

Next, the knitting notions. Stitch markers, both commercial and handmade (by my pal? Very cute, btw), needles holders, and a yarn cutter. Always useful. Always appreciated.

And finally, the yarn. Oh, the yarn. Thank you so very much my special pal! Artyarns Merino in delicious greens and eggplant, Sunshine yarns in sunny colors with 2 more stitch markers (I have SO be wanting to get my hands on some of this yarn), and some handsome fingering weight yarn from Blackberry Ridge Woolen Mill. None of these special yarns has graced my stash before and now I’m blessed with such sweet, sweet fibery goodness!

I’d love to introduce you to my pal, but she remains a secret pal yet. In my addled state, I may have missed a card or note (believe me, these past few days, that’s sooooo probable), but other than a return address near Boston, Mass. I’m no closer to knowing who she is. No fear, I’ve sent her an e-mail, and I’m sure all will be known in good time.

So for now, I will publicly say thank you, thank you, thank you Secret Pal. I have been truly and richly spoiled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home