the knitting ref

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Happy Anniversary Baby!

If you’re here for knitting tonight, I’m afraid you’re out of luck.

If, however, you’re here for a love story, then grab the drink of your choice, sit back, and dig in.

Once upon a time, there lived a lady of the realm who had a rather hum-drum life. She lived in a little house with her children and her 4-legged friends. She woke up, she went to work, she ran hither and yon taking said kidlets to their assorted activities, she went to bed. “Romance. Isn’t that a kind of lettuce?” she thought. Obviously, our heroine did not spend a lot of time getting to know the opposite sex.

Now, this lady had a rather unusual hobby--she was a soccer referee. She had spent many years honing her craft with the help of a kind and generous mentor. Said mentor could be annoyingly persistent when he wanted to see his protégé get better. Such was the case one summer when the kindly mentor harassed the living crud out her to go to a weekend-long class. Grudgingly, she went.

As was usual at these events, the class ratio was 30 men to 1 woman (hint to all you single women out there). And there were a number of interesting men present. But our heroine was tired and only wanted to get through the stupid classes so she could sleep. Nonetheless, there was one knight who was smart and funny and kind, and our heroine felt a small chink in her armor. But our knight lived in a far off land. At the end of the weekend, phone numbers were exchanged with promises of keeping in touch, without much hope by our lady fair of ever hearing from the knight again.

But lo and behold! The knight did call our lady fair. And he continued to call. He traveled the many miles from his land to visit. He had the lady travel to his land to see him in his natural habitat. Much money was spent on telephone bills and airplane tickets. The kids liked him. The parents like him. The friends liked him. She rrrreeeeaaaallllly liked him.

Very, very quickly, romance blossomed (and no it isn’t a kind of lettuce). Six months after they first met, the knight left his land to live in the lady’s realm. Nine months after they first met, they wed.

This isn’t a fairy tale, this is real life. That was 8 years ago. I wish I could say we lived happily ever after. But events intrude to make life bittersweet. I can tell you that I love this man more today than I did the day we married. And I didn’t think that was possible. I was married once previously. I have said many, many times that as badly as I married the first time, I married twice as good this time.

When you’re saying your vows, you hear the words, “for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health.” And many times, they wind up being just that: words. Well, my husband has gone above and beyond in keeping his vows. Little did we know that 4 years into our marriage, I’d be diagnosed with cancer and be in treatment ever since. And he has not only stood by my every single second--going to doctor’s appointments, tests procedures, holding my head while I’m throwing up, you name it--he has spent a lot of the time carrying me.

He is my friend, my lover, my life, and I am proud to be his wife.

Happy Anniversary M.

2 Comments:

At 8:32 AM, Blogger Debstmomy said...

Congratulations!!! I am glad you finally found your soul mate. It is a wonderful thing! Happy Aniversary.

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Abigail 1870 pearl said...

God is good, my friend. God is good. He always gives us the best!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home