the knitting ref

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Catch Up

I've been wanting to do a decent post the last few days, but too much to do, plus not sleeping well equals no post. We're counting down to the Relay for Life, and that means lots of shopping and gathering and decoration-making. I'll leave that for another day.
Our anniversary weekend up in Big Bear overall was quite lovely. As predicted, the weather on Friday was rather dicey. On the trip up we hit rain, fog, snow, sleet, and hail. This view is out of our window at Golden Bear Cottages. It's a nice family owned place. The place has been around forever, but it's well maintained overall and cozy. If you look closely, you can see the sleet bouncing off the car.
Saturday morning dawned bright and sunny if a bit chilly. The Hubster made a delicious breakfast after which we lazed around the room all day. We only ventured out for dinner at the Evergreen Restaurant. Delicious dinner with a great view of the lake.

Back to the room. More vegging out until midday Sunday when it was time to make our way back down the hill for Easter lunner (lunch/dinner) with my folks.
Big Bear Lake is in a bit of a valley. The surrounding hillsides prevent a lot of clouds from settling in, so very often when it's cloudy down in the valley, it's gorgeous, bright sunshine up at the lake. Such was the case this weekend: This view is as you come up over the ridge and overlook the valley. My house is somewhere down below the pea soup.
I was not totally sloth-like this weekend. See, I finished Topi in plenty of time for the Relay. Can't get a good picture of it on my head yet, so this will have to do for now. Since I couldn't get my hands on some good teal colored cotton quickly, I took some white Lily's Sugar N' Cream cotton and dyed it with Rit dye (only dye I could get my hands on quicly and easily). It seems to be pretty colorfast--no transfer while I was knitting it up--so we'll see how we manage with it on my head all day Saturday.
I also knit up some squares for Warming Grace. Got them all blocked yesterday. They're not quite dry enough to be put in the mail tomorrow, but come Friday, they'll be winging their way North.

And the SockapalOOOza sock? I was hoping you wouldn't notice that there's no picture. I'm starting to get a little nervous. I was having a terrible time with the Vine Lace pattern. I'm sure it's me, but I don't have the time to spend trying to figure it out. So it's been frogged and I've started a different pattern with the same yarn. I'll not name it for now for fear I'll jinx it.

I've got plenty more to add, but I'll try to do another post tomorrow. For now, it's time to get busy.

5 Comments:

At 3:11 AM, Anonymous Kelly said...

Thats such a beautiful piture of the mountains. Love the hat and color is really pretty.

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger trek said...

I want to knit a Topi as well. Yours looks so nice. Is it really warm or is it more of a cool keep-the-sun-out-of-my-eyes hat?

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger BookishKnitster said...

Love the hat! It is TOO cute. The pictures make me miss Alaska - the mountains and water. What a wonderful get away.

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger BookishKnitster said...

Oh! And best of luck this weekend on the Relay for Life! You go, girl!

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Debstmomy said...

Very Nice. I have not been up the mountain in years. We did Warming Grace squares too! Felt good to do them. Take Care. Oh is the Relay you are doing in Redlands or Yucaipa???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home