the knitting ref

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Warning, Bad Mood Ahead

O.k., maybe not a bad mood, but definitely not all happy smiley either.

My tale of woe? I had a plans for the wonderful weekend starting tomorrow. And what was my great plan, you may ask. Well, the Hubster and I were going to leave out midday to San Clemente State Beach for another weekend of camping. During said weekend, I was GOING to knit my little brains out on Bettna. So what's wrong with said plan? Well, the forecast for this weekend is lots of rain and cold. With the Hubster's and my respiratory difficulties of late that's not a good idea.

But no, friends, that's not all.

For once in my life, I had planned well in advance. I went into my favorite LYS (sorry, no website) and placed the largest yarn order I'd ever placed in my life. I figured that for once in my life I was going to knit exactly the sweater I wanted with exactly the kind of yarn specified in the pattern. On February 28th, I stood by the counter while my LYS lady phoned in an order for 2 bags (2!!!) of Noro Silk Garden #211. I was close enough I could hear the conversation on the other end. She was told that it would be shipped by the end of the week. No problemo. End of the week comes, no yarn. Twice more she calls. "It's coming." NO YARN.

Today, I called Knitting Fever, Inc. (and yes, I'm going to name those blankety-blank people, but you're not getting their website), to find out where the blankety- blank my yarn is. (And no, I didn't use even 1 curse word.) At first, they played coy with me and said that they'd check and get back to my LYS. WRONG! After explaining (nicely) that I was tired of getting the run-around, the lady put me on hold. After a bit she came back and said that the colorway I wanted was out of stock! With no idea when it might be shipped. Blankety-blank-blank-blankers.

The urge to curse at the moment is almost overwhelming, but I don't want to give those blankety-blank people the satisfaction of knowing that they made me lose it. I have been eagerly waiting for over 2 weeks to get yarn so that I could start my project on a specific date. At this rate, by the time I get the yarn it'll be too hot to knit up the sweater. Grrrrrr!

Ya know, you try to do the right thing and support your LYS, and through no fault of their own, it gets all bollixed up.

So now, the Hubster and I will have to figure out a Plan B tonight. More than likely it will involve working around the house, or something equally mundane. Much as I'd like to say to heck with it and go make reservations somewhere, the NZ trip is looming larger and larger.

Sigh.

4 Comments:

At 5:33 PM, Blogger rho said...

It's not your local yarn shop but why don't you try webs -that is where I got my Noro 211 and they were really quick to get it out to me. Sorry you are having so much trouble with it ...

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger JRS said...

Good idea, rho, or maybe post an ISO on knitty and someone could find it at their LYS for you? I'm sure there's some out there somewhere. Too bad knitting fever is making problems for your LYS though...can they find another supplier? I've been asked by various LYS in StLouis to be their Noro supplier, because I live in Japan and go to Missouri a lot. Evidently Noro wholesalers aren't the quickest lot!

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger knittyref said...

At this point, it's the principle of the thing. I also don't feel it's fair to jilt Nancy (the owner) out of what amounts to a very large sale just because one of her suppliers is a boob.

Trust me, she's about ready to drop them and go elsewhere. Can't be too soon, I say.

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Debstmomy said...

Working in a LYS, I will tell you NORO IS HARD TO GET!!! For some wierd reason & I have no idea why. Have you tried calling LYS in LA or Orange county & see if they have it. Here are 2 websites to check to see if they do. First is, www.greatyarns.com This is my FAVORTIE LYS, downside, they are 1200 miles away. But they ship for free (usually), & they usually have TONS of Noro. 2nd is www.yarnlady.com it is in the OC, so you could actually drive there. 3rd is www.yarn.com I have ordered from there & shipping is ok. Good Luck & Let me know how it goes. Yes, getting NORO can suck, but once you have it is so YUMMY!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home