the knitting ref

Saturday, March 04, 2006

There's Some Serious Knitting Going On

Only a couple more rows done on the SOTSW shawl. That seems to be all I can manage to focus on at one time, so it’s slow going. In lieu of making significant progress on that, I’ve been working on other stuff. For your perusal, I give you these:

The Lotorp Bag from the Noro Revisited pattern book. This is a super easy, super fast knit. The pattern book give directions for 2 different sizes using 2 different yarns. I chose the Kureyon version. It calls for 2 skeins, and it took every last inch. See the little bits next to the bag? That’s the bits that were cut off after weaving in the ends. That’s. All. I still have to finish the lining (not part of the instructions) as I want a separate space on the side for my cellphone, and I’m adding some plastic canvas to support the bottom (also not part of the instructions). When I put stuff in the bag, it was just too droopy without some sort of stabilizer.

This is not on my to-do list of the other day. My friend had her birthday last Saturday (at the end of the Knitting Olympics). Since I had been otherwise occupied, I didn’t even think about making her anything. We went to lunch yesterday, and I got a fit of the guilts that I hadn’t made her anything. After work last night, I pulled out this fantastic Knit Picks Shadow Merino laceweight in the Grape Jelly colorway, using 2 strands held together. I love this color--it‘s so rich and deep and it really does make me think of grape jelly. The pattern is the Arches & Columns Lace Scarf from the Knitting Pattern a Day calendar of March 27, 2006. (I know, I know, I’m looking ahead again.) This pattern is great. Only 4 pattern rows make it very easy to memorize. This pattern is definitely a keeper. And for a lacey scarf, it goes pretty fast.

I got to the point on Mariah’s second sleeve that I wanted to pull out the first sleeve to confirm how much more I needed to knit. I had it in my head that once this sleeve was done I still had to make both front pieces before I’d be ready to begin knitting the pieces all together. But lookie, lookie! I already have a left side. I’d completely forgotten I’d done it. Woo-Hoo!

3 Comments:

At 9:47 AM, Blogger rho said...

what colorway is the bag -- I love that combination

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Ann said...

I love that Noro colorway! I'd be tempted to felt(full) that baby...And your lace scarf is lovely. It's funny, but do you see how different your two projects are? One lacy and one kind of earthy? Fun to look at what folks choose, I think.

 
At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Lucie said...

Do you find the handle on the bag an ok length? I'm currently knitting the handle and can't decide how long to make it. I dont want to make it too long in case it just stretches too much, but I dont want to make it too short either.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home