the knitting ref

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy!

Whilst cruising the Internets a while back, I saw the Lotorp Bag, and immediately fell in love. When I hunted down the pattern book (Noro Revisited), I thought it was a bit expensive. Personally, I won't buy a pattern book unless I can get a lot of use out of it. But once I started turning pages, I was immediately drawn not only to Lotorp, but also Bettna (on the cover), and this: the Orso Wrap Top.

O.k., so maybe not in this form, but definitely the colorway and the lace pattern. It's actually knitted up in a long rectangle and the book says that left unseamed it makes a beautiful shawl. A shawl I could live with.

There was just one stumbling block, however, to Orsa and I beginning a beautiful friendship. The recommended yarn--Silver Thaw--that I've seen is generally over $20 a skein. Now, it IS a beautiful yarn made of 50% wool, 25% angora, and 25% "semi-cashmere nylon. But the pattern calls for 2 to 2 1/2 skeins of the stuff. A bit heady for me. But the yarn is what really makes the lace pop.

Now for the good news. I was hanging about the forums in KR, the sales and shop news forums specifically. And there was Silver Thaw 35% off in exactly the colorway I wanted! Given the difficulties I've been having getting my hands on the Silk Garden I wanted for Bettna (as outlined in a previous rant, uh . . . post), I decided to shelve Bettna until next fall, and placed my order with Little Knits as quick as I could. I can't wait!

We seem to definitely be headed into warmer weather. Today was actually quite lovely. The Hubster had to go into work for half the day, leaving about 5:00 a.m. I figured the puppies would wake me up around 7:00, 8:00 if I was lucky, voicing their demands to be fed. Imagine my surprise, then when I woke up all on my own, looked at the clock, and it was 9:30! Fantabulous, let me tell you. As lovely as it was, it did put me a bit behind timewise for what I had planned to do today.

But, after a slow start, I got in gear, and got a llllooottt of gardening done. The boy child is very good at keeping the lawn mowed, but not so good at keeping up on the edging. The edges are now all cleaned up, the flower beds weeded, and the front planter is ready for planting. When I first looking to buy this house, the front of the house had great curb appeal with Martha Washington geraniums in the brick planters. The original geraniums had to be pulled out when repairs needed to be made on the planter, and alas, none of them survived. I'm going tomorrow to pick up some new geraniums. By tomorrow night, the planter should be back in good order. If the weather is at all cooperative, I should have some lovely flower pictures to share soon.

3 Comments:

At 5:10 AM, Blogger Ann said...

I too liked that lace pattern and as a shawl, great. But putting it in a spiral like that -- what were they thinking? That book actually does have a few sweaters I'd consider as well. I've made a shrug (almost finished more like) out of three skeins of Silver Thaw. It's where I learned I'm slightly allergic to angora...sniff. What color didja get?

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Debstmomy said...

That does look yummy! Thanks for the link to LittleKnits...woohoo! Another great yarn source...

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger BookishKnitster said...

puppies???? what kind of puppies?

the pattern is beauty-full!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home