the knitting ref

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Like a Moth to a Flame

Never one to pass up a *bargain*, and doubly so when it involves knitting, I was at one of the few stores I do frequent--Tar-jay--when I spied this on the clearance shelf. A handy-dandy mitten kit. It contains the yarn, pattern, knitting needles and darning needle to make up a pair of mittens. The colors are even decent too. There's also a DVD inside to "teach" a beginner to make the mittens. It's pretty cheesy, but it does provide some pretty good information for someone totally clueless. I don't exactly think this is a beginner's project; an intermediate beginner, maybe.

I've seen other kits like this, but I never saw this when they were full price. Don't think I would have paid full price--$12.99. I mean it is only acrylic yarn after all, and not full skeins at that. But for $5, I just couldn't pass it up.

The other goodies I picked up were 2 Gemology beading kits. The box said it contains enough stuff to make 3 pairs earrings OR 2 bracelets OR 1 necklace.

I woke up about 2 a.m. yesterday morning with chills and a nasty fever. I probably should have at least called in to the doctor, but I wanted to wait and see if things would take care of themselves. There's nothing worse than feeling like crap and having to sit around a waiting room for hours. All day on the couch yesterday and most of the day today, and I'm feeling almost human.

I'm giving Mariah a short time out. The cables on one of the sleeves are really screwed up. I need a little time to quit being quite so pissed off before I attempt a repair without frogging. That requires a much cooler head than I currently have. None of my other projects sounded inspiring, so I decided to put together one of the bead kits. I'm pleased with the finished product. The beads and stuff are reasonably good quality except for the clear beads--they're plastic. Maybe tomorrow I'll do the other kit.

Speaking of tomorrow, one of the few benefits of being an employee of the State of California is the holidays (read days off) designated by our Legislature. Tomorrow is, drum roll please, Cesar Chavez Day. I almost don't know what to do with myself. Almost.

2 Comments:

At 5:12 PM, Blogger Scoutj said...

Pretty pretty!

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger trek said...

Mittens? But you live in SoCal...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home