the knitting ref

Friday, March 31, 2006

I Love Art

Since I still have nothing of knitting import to post, I’m jumping on Scout’s bandwagon and talk about favorite art.

This, obviously, is my favorite piece of art. I say obviously, because my son painted it. Aside from the fact that I think it's a pretty damn good painting. It’s still his only painting he’s done. He has a lot of artistic talent aside from the painting--ceramics, welding, drawing, and building models but nothing seems to hold him for long. I’m hoping he does more painting in the future. Only time will tell.

I also I have friend who does fantastic watercolors, and I love her work. More in upcoming days regarding that subject. I can't talk now cause there's super secret stuff going on with her.

As for more known artists, when my kids were little I related to a lot of Mary Cassatt’s work.

My new favorite is Emily Carr. I learned about her after reading a book called Forest Lover by Susan Vreeland. BTW, if you want to read stories about strong women, read these books by Vreeland. They’re fictionalized stories of actual women. All 3 books are very good reads.

2 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Blogger BookishKnitster said...

Emily Carr is amazing. The school I worked at in Alaska had a couple of classes that studied her work.

While I'm at it, I second you on Vreeland's books. I especially enjoyed The Passion of Artemesia! Another book somewhat different in theme, but also set in Italy that is fantastic and is guaranteed to make you want to be a book conservator is Robert Hellenga's The Sixteen Pleasures.

 
At 10:26 PM, Anonymous Pomo said...

I'm listening to Vreeland's The Passion of Artemesia now. I saw an exhibit of her work a few years back at the Met...it was amazing. Her Judith truly was revolutionary!

Glad you liked the meme! Thanks for sharing

 

Post a Comment

<< Home