the knitting ref

Thursday, March 23, 2006

And Another One Bites the Dust

SSS is done!
(Excuse the naked toesies)
First the stats:
Pattern: South Slocan Scarf from 2006 Knitting Pattern-A-Day (2/17& 2/18-19)
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino--red (#700); 2 1/2 skeins
Needles: Size 6 Addi Turbos

Since this was the first time doing this pattern and trying to read exclusively from a chart, I didn't make any modifications. I knew it would be too much for my little pea brain to handle. It really is a scarf size rather than a shawl size. Pre-blocking, I was a bit worried that it was too small. Post-blocking, it's an adequate 38" from the middle point to each end. I think this falls more into the shawlette category than either a scarf or shawl.

I learned something new from this project, since the pattern is a chart only. I think I can safely say I'm over my chart phobia. So much so that when I finally get to the Lace Wrap, I'm charting it all the way! I think Mama is going to be very pleased with her birthday present.

I'm definitely keeping this one in the repetoire. Next time, probably after the summer, I want to do this in the same type yarn, make the seed stitch border a little smaller and the entire shawl bigger.

And an FYI on yesterday's appointment: this chemo seems to be keeping things stable. No new growths, and a small tumor even disappeared. So, it's more of the same. Given how crappy I was feeling just a couple weeks ago, that news is welcome relief.

2 Comments:

At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The shawl looks lovely. I am still in the throes of chart phobia. Maybe I'll work on it this summer.

SP

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Tamisha said...

I agree that the shawl looks amazing. I'm trying that pattern out myself, but I'm having trouble reading the chart for the main body of the shawl. Between the seed stitch border, there are 21 stitches by the time I get to the 16 repeated rows of the main body. I can do the first two rows, but then row 3 looks like there are only 17 stitches, when there should be 25.

I don't suppose you can help me read the pattern...?
Thanks,
-Tamisha
my livejournal

 

Post a Comment

<< Home