the knitting ref

Friday, March 24, 2006

2 Decades


2 Decades. Yikes! Wanna know what I was doing 20 years ago today? Bringing this marvelous being into the world. When I became pregnant, I asked God for a healthy child. Well, God delivered big time. (I only look like death warmed over because after 20 hours of hard labor, she had to be delivered C-section. Oh, and please remember, this was 1986. Those glasses were high fashion.)

Before she came into this world, I thought I knew what love was. Yeah, right. The first time I looked at her, places in my heart I didn't even know existed opened up. Fire, wind, water, you name it, I was ready to walk through it for her.

Fast forward to today. Today, I live with a creature who can make me go from zero to crazy in about 2.6 seconds. She's a slob (which she readily admits). For reasons I don't understand given her success in all things, her self-esteem could use some work. And of late, we haven't exactly gotten along as she's stretching her wings.

BUT! I wouldn't have her any different than the way she is. She is kind, compassionate and empathetic. (Have I mentioned she's going to college to become an RN, and right now works as a health aide at a nursing home for Alzheimer's patients?) Not to mention fall-down funny. In all the ways that matter, she makes me inordinately proud.

I thank God each and every day for giving her to me and keeping her safe and well.
I am thankful that I have been given 2 decades to watch her blossom. My greatest fear when I was diagnosed was that I wouldn't get to see either of my children become adults. I am truly blessed to have made it this far. I pray for many more days to get to see just how far my baby girl can go.


Happy Birthday Girl Child.

4 Comments:

At 6:29 AM, Blogger Ann said...

Wow oh wow. Congrats on your daughter's 20th. What a lovely girl you've got there. Gives us moms with teens a light to look for at the end of the tunnel! Happy Day to you both!

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger rho said...

don't you remember when you were that age -- it is your job to make your mom go from calm to crazed in 2 seconds :D see she is just a success at another thing

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger BookishKnitster said...

wonderful post. happy belated birthday to your daughter!

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Debstmomy said...

Happy Birthday dear 20 yr old! You have every right to be a PROUD Mom!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home