the knitting ref

Sunday, February 12, 2006

It's Too ($*% Hot

It’s a good thing I’m knitting lace, because otherwise I’d have to drop out from the heat. Today’s high was 85 F. Believe me, I’m not boasting. I know this is being read by those who are more than likely snowed in (hi SP!) and having a miserably cold time. There just doesn’t seem to be any happy weather medium anywhere in the country.

Believe me, I’d like some winter weather right about now. The only thing I can think of during all this hot weather is how nasty summer is going to be. And I don’t even want to think of my water bill. My property is (mostly) planted with drought tolerant plants. But even those are looking a little sad.


During a knitting break (one of many), I planted the avocado tree that I bought last spring, and never put in the ground. Ah, last year’s cold, rainy spring is just a distant memory. I just hope the tree doesn't cook this year. Resting on the supports is my shawl as it was this morning. I’d also like to point out the mutant tomato plant in the background. It’s a Yellow Pear that I never pulled up last October when it stopped producing. With the mild winter, it has just kept growing. It’s now about 6 feet tall and about 4 feet wide, completely covered with blossoms and little tiny pea-sized tomatoes. Amazing what benign neglect can do.


As of 6:30 tonight I finished the 3rd chart on the shawl and decided I’d better spread it out to make sure I hadn’t totally messed up. The color in the outdoor picture is pretty true. One of the big reasons I love this shawl so much is because it pulls in elements found in a lot of Native American basketweaving and pottery. From the center (bottom) out, so far I've done sunshine, butterflies, and mountains. There's still corn, river, rabbits and squash blossoms charts to finish. Not bad looking, if I do say so myself.

Well, break time over—I still have 5 more rows to do in order to meet my goal for the day. And since I’m up to over 200 stitches, just doing 1 row takes a while.

Knit on!

2 Comments:

At 4:00 AM, Blogger amanda j said...

What a gorgeous shawl. Maybe by next Olympics I will be up to something like that!

 
At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi SP! You have your own avocado tree? I am soo jealous. Getting snowed in on a lazy Sunday is not such a bad thing. :-)

SP

 

Post a Comment

<< Home