the knitting ref

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Dumber 'N A Brick


Me, not the cat, that is. Because I got no knitting worth showing, you get a picture of Mac enjoying the Westminster Dog Show. Isn't she cute?

As for being dumber than a brick, my mother assures me that I was not a slow child. I picked up my numbers and letters fairly early, got through school in the upper percentile of the classes. I did struggle a bit with math. Maybe that is my problem.

After yesterday's post (made during my lunch 15 minutes), I came home and had a lovely dinner with my husband. Very cute cards and candy were exchanged. The best "gift", though, was that he sold a trailer that has been taking up major room in the driveway, and it has now disappeared from said driveway. (I've been nagging about that for years. But I digress.) Since he has to leave for work at 5:00 a.m., he was asleep in his chair fairly early.

Whereupon I gleefully pulled out my knitting. And found a major mistake. The upper half of my cornstalks were suspended in midair, 2 stitches away from the lower half. So I frogged. A bunch. Thank goodness for lifelines. I got a couple of rows redone, but when you're working on 200+ stitch rows, you're not going to get very far very fast.

I went to bed a whole day behind schedule. Not happy. Not happy at all. I had to make the drive out to City of Hope for more labwork. Of course, I took my knititng with me in the hope that I'd catch up a little. 4 more rows done while waiting for my results.

Now comes the confirmation that I. am. dumber. than. a. brick. After last night, I had resolved to slow down and check every row before continuing on to the next one so that I can catch a problem before it develops. (There aren't repeats in this pattern in the traditional sense. One of my biggest problems is trying to use stitch markers or counters, because every other row is so different.) Somehow, the lesson learned last night completely left my head. I blithly knitted 3 rows before confirming the pattern. You guessed it. It was wrong. I had to frog back down to my lifeline--5 rows gone. Again! So now I'm 2 days' behind. (Groan of frustration.)

It is now 9:00 p.m., and I'm fading fast. I'll work for another hour, tops, and then I'm going to rest my little head. Maybe I can get up and knit a row or 2 (very, very carefully) before work.

Oh well. With my apologies to Margaret Mitchell: After all, tomorrow is another [hopefully better, less braindead] day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home