the knitting ref

Friday, January 06, 2006

Feeling Accomplished


I'm within 1, maybe 2 repeats from completing my Fern Wrap scarf. But something has diverted my attention.

She's the Christmas Angel from the 2006 Knitting Pattern-a-Day Calendar. Yes, I looked ahead in the calendar, and this little lady caught my eye. I collect angels (but that's another post), and I wanted to make her up as soon as I saw her. She was a really quick project (1 evening), and super simple.

I followed the pattern exactly for the knitting part of the angel, but made a few changes when I was putting it together. The pattern called for a wood bead where the hands would be, but that didn't do a whole lot for me. Instead, I took a glass heart bead and hung it from a split ring and sewed it in place. Next time (and there will be a next time--maybe several), I think I'd put a couple of size 10 or 11 beads on each side of whatever I hang in the middle to make it a little more finished. I'm thinking charms or some cool glass beads. Since I didn't have the small gold beads designated in the pattern for the halo, I just used some 20 gauge wire.

The pattern calls for angora yarn--a bit too pricey right now. Instead I used a mohair/polyester blend, the brand of which I couldn't even begin to tell you. It only took about 5 grams. The other ones I want to make will still use the white for the wings and "hair," but color coordinate the body for the intended recipient.

I suppose I could call this a Xmas project, but in truth, this lady will be added to my angel collection. But I know of a few people who will definitely be getting one of these for Xmas 2006!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home