the knitting ref

Sunday, January 29, 2006

End of the Weekend



This is the gorgeous sunrise I saw Saturday morning and had to grab the camera. What's wrong with that statement? I was awake BEFORE DAWN on a SATURDAY. That's what's wrong. I am not, never have been and never will be a morning person. But, we were up at o'dark 30 to go referee.

And referee we did. 2 very good games, and we were home. I woke up to a pain in my side, so I was rather cranky all day Saturday. But I was bound and determined to get some serious gardening done. And garden I did.

I don't like Southern California summers, and complain long and bitterly about the heat. BUT, one thing I do really like is being able to garden in January. The front planter had gotten completely overgrown, so over the past few weeks I've been digging it out little by little. This weekend, I put in weedcloth in the bottom and around the insides. Hopefully, this will get rid of the nasty crabgrass that seems to have totally taken over the yard. Then I got it filled in with a good dirt, compost and peat moss combo. When I'm in a bad mood, there are very few things better than burying my hands in the good earth.



I have always been anti-pesticides/herbicides my whole life and have only gotten more so since my cancer diagnosis. So, in order to prepare the veggie bed, I take a page from a book I have long since lost by Rodale Press. To kill off grass without using herbicides, cut down the grass as low as possible and cover with 5-6 layers of newspapers. The newspapers prevent grass growth. Because I should have done this in October/November to maximize "cooking time", I also covered the area with a bit of weedcloth. In about 6 weeks, I'll be able to pull off the newspapers, and dig up the dead grass roots without a great deal of trouble. I've done this a number of times in different areas of the front yard that I've turned over to flower beds. (If I want to make it "pretty" while I'm waiting, I cover it it wood chips. This is on the side yard where nobody except my neighbot can see it. And they welcome it--it means they'll be getting some of the bounty come summer.) It's a great work reducer.

Then it'll be veggie planting time! Course, I couldn't wait. I think I posted previously that I started seeds a couple weeks ago. If you look closely in the raised planter, you see little tiny bush bean seedlings. I can almost taste 'em. Yum!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home