the knitting ref

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

By Jove, I've Got It!


I started Mariah's sleeve and got about 8 inches up. And found 3 mistakes. Bad mistakes. Mistakes I couldn't live with. So it lost some serious inches, all the way back to the end of the cuff section.

This had me seriously p.o.'d because I've been having such a hard time dealing with reading the chart. There are 7 different cabling combinations, and keeping them straight was almost more than I can handle. I was spending more time looking back and forth between the chart and the key than I was actually knitting. But I intended to persevere. I was NOT going to let a stupid piece of paper beat me. So, after some serious pondering, it hit me.

Color coding! Each of the 7 different stitch symbols is now a different color. I don't know why, but as soon as I got it about halfway colored in, it just popped!

And now I get it! It's made all the difference in the world. And after just a couple of hours of knitting this evening, I've got 3 solid inches done. It's going sooooooo much faster. And no mistakes! (But a lot of exclamation points!)

2 Comments:

At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a chart novice - color coding is a great idea. I'm going to give it a try.

Your SP

 
At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Fallbrook room additions said...

Suprise Suprise open your eyes...Some people believe that to create is great but build is like changing the past forever... If you want to create a beautiful home Visit Fallbrook room additions and you can see what a little change can create..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home