the knitting ref

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Boy Have I Been Lazy
What with the ugly weather most of the weekend, the Hubster and I chose to stay home rather than go camping. It turned out to be an excellent choice. We got most of the Xmas stuff cleaned up and put away, make turkey soup and posole, watched Lord of the Rings (for the eleventieth time) and football, and were basically slugs all weekend.

I was so lazy I didn't even look for the camera cord. And I need the camera cord cause I've got lots of pictures to post. I'm within 8-10 inches of finishing my scarf. My SIL gave me the most darling Boyd's Bear angel. Some great autumn leaves (I KNOW it's winter. We're just very confused here in So. Cal.) And some gratuitous kitty and puppy pictures. Gotta do something about the camera cord and soon.

I was not so lazy, however, that I didn't think about what I want to do for the coming year. Not a New Year's Resolution 'cause I don't make those--they're doomed to failure. I am, however, making a Plan (notice the capital P).

2006 is going to be the year for getting rid of "stuff." Let me state at the outset that in no way is yarn to be considered "stuff." Yarn is important; a necessity of my existence. Yarn is not and will never be on my list of "stuff" to be gotten rid of. For that matter, neither will books or music. What I am going to focus on is all the c*#p that seems to accumulate while my back is turned.

Let me ask you this: Is it really necessary to have 4 water jugs? 3 sets of dishes? I know for a fact that it is absolutely unnecessary to have 17 coffee mugs. And that's just in the kitchen. We just have too much.

Don't get me wrong. I am know how blessed I am to have all that I do have. But that is so not how I want to live my life. And so 2006 is going to be the year of living simply. I'm going to look at keeping only those things that enrich life and not those that clutter it up.

I've already started. I went to Target and bought 12 new bath towels. (As I write that, it sounds like so many, but it works out to 3 per person in the house.) The old ratty ones? Sent out to the garage to the rag bin. There's so much room in the linen closet now. And we don't need any more. It's a small step, but it's a start.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home